What is Performous?
Pick up your microphone and start singing. The game won't just score your performance but your pitch is constantly displayed so you can correct the mistakes and actually learn to sing... And then beat your friends in multiplayer mode, or do a duet with someone you love :)
For those who sing rather than well (or who just want more artistic freedom), a karaoke mode is provided. In this mode only lyrics are displayed and there are no notes or scoring.
Guitar and drums
Pick up your keyboard like this... Or if you prefer, connect one of those guitar controllers you can buy for almost nothing at your local gaming store. Playing a plastic guitar with five buttons sure isn't like the real thing but it just happens to be a good deal easier to learn and thus a hit at your party. Just make sure that the guys holding your guitar controllers allow others to play too.
Playing drums is like the real thing, especially if you happen to be lucky enough to have one of those professional MIDI drum sets. For the rest of us the el cheapo band game controllers will have to do.
Let the rhythm guide your feet when you show your dance moves on a dance pad, or just be a geek and use the keypad with your fingers instead. The graphics ain't hot yet but nonetheless you can dance all the same.
- Vocals, guitars (lead/rhythm/bass), drums and dancing with multiplayer support
- Extremely good singing pitch detection (usable even with laptop or webcam microphones)
- Intelligent gameplay determines what the player attempted to do
- Avoid accidental hammer-ons / pull-offs, among other things
- No more "wtf, I didn't make any mistake there" feeling
- Controllers are autodetected (no need to configure keys)
- Song formats: FoF, UltraStar, SingStar XML, StepMania
- C++ for high performance, rapid development and solid code
- OpenGL 2.1 and SVG for nice graphics
- Free software, licensed under GNU GPL version 2 or later
- Windows / Linux / OS X (porting to others should be easy)
- A computer that can run 3D games (doesn't need to be fast)
- Microphones for singing (any regular microphones, SingStar/other USB mics)
- USB guitars and drums (Guitar Hero, Rock Band)
- USB dance pad for dancing (various brands)